The immune system does a remarkable job of defending you against disease causing microorganisms, but sometimes germs invade successfully and make you sick. Learning how to strengthen immunity is important to improve the defense system of your body.
The immune system consists of special organs, cells and chemicals that defend the body against infection (microbes). Betterhealth.com labels the main parts of the immune system that actively fight infection as: white blood cells, antibodies, the complement system, the lymphatic system, the spleen, the thymus, and bone marrow.
Is It Possible To Strengthen The Immune System?
The immune system is a complex, robust system that responds most appropriately when it functions at its optimal level. While strengthening the immune system is possible, it is just as important to maintain optimal immunity by protecting against infections and illness. If you strengthen your immune system too much, it may result in autoimmune diseases and allergic reactions. Therefore, a tight balance is maintained by the body to keep the barrier between normality and a diseased state.
There are certain habits, diets, and supplements that strengthen your immunity and help the body fight against pathogens or disease carriers.
How To Increase Your Immunity Through Diet
Strengthening your immune system may prevent you from common colds, flu-like illnesses, and minor infections. If you are working to increase your immunity due to flu season around the corner, focusing on natural foods and a healthy diet is a priority. The following are some important foods that increase your immunity:
- Fruit: Almost all fruits are full of vitamins and nutrients, especially citrus fruits. Citrus fruits have high storage of vitamin C that strengthens your immune
- Garlic: Loaded with sulfur-containing compounds that boost the immune system by fighting against infections.
- Broccoli: Super packed with vitamin A, C, E, and antioxidants. All are necessary for the optimal functioning of your immune system.
- Ginger: Has analgesic, lipid-lowering, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Spinach: Full of vitamin C and possesses anti-inflammatory properties.
- Almonds: Rich in vitamins and healthy fats to boost immunity indirectly.
- Green Tea: Packed with antioxidants and enhances immunity.
- Kiwi: Contains vitamin K, folate, potassium, and vitamin C.
- Yogurt: A good source of vitamin D that regulates the immune system.
Your parents were right when they told you to eat your fruits and vegetables. These fresh foods reduce the risk of chronic diseases and boost immunity.
How To Strengthen Your Immunity Through Supplements
There are no scientifically approved supplements that can boost immunity directly and efficiently yet. However, the supplements that contain naturally occurring vitamins or minerals are thought to be beneficial for immunity strengthening. The following are supplements to help the immune system function at its optimum level when taken in moderation:
- Vitamin A: Supports the body against infections.
- Vitamin C: A naturally acting anti-inflammatory agent that reduces the viral and bacterial load.
- Vitamin D: Necessary to have strong bones and normal body functioning.
- Probiotics: Contain good bacteria which are necessary for your gut
and regulate the immune system indirectly.
- Zinc: Reduces the number of infections and their duration.
- Selenium: Acts as an antioxidant and helps the immune system by neutralizing the toxins.
Other Ways To Improve Your Immune System
In addition to the above-mentioned strategies, there are many ways that may increase your immunity. Some important immune-strengthening measures are following:
- Maintain your weight according to the BMI scale. You should maintain your weight under 25 BMI.
- Exercise regularly
- Take balanced diet
- Drink plenty of water
- Get enough sleep
- Avoid stressors in your life
- Stop smoking
- Avoid alcohol
While there are ways to improve your immunity, infection and illness may be inevitable. At American Online Benefits Group, we offer products that include accessibility to professionals who can help you in the event you do become ill. Contact our Agent or Member Services today for more information at 214-389-9072.